Date(s) - 29/09/2016 - 03/10/2016
Note: Bookings full for 2016
Would you like to learn more about sustainable living and organic farming practices?
You will have the opportunity to interact with us on guided farm tours, ask questions, share experiences and hopefully find some answers! The Vanwyksdorp Sustainable Living Weekend is an opportunity to learn about:
- small scale organic food production
- food processing and preservation
- water wise gardening
- small scale beekeeping
- chicken farming
- alternative energy
- alternative building
- art and culture
- and much more…
For info and inquiries please call Vanwyksdorp Tourism at +27 72 9939 461
29th September- 3rd October 2016
Starts Thursday evening 17:00 with a Bring and Braai.
Last session finishes before lunch on Monday.
Vanwyksdorp is in the Klein Karoo, close to the well-known R62.
Our closest towns are Riversdale and Ladismith. NB No fuel in Vanwyksdorp!
Chiefly “Walk and Talk” tours around organic farming, small organic farming, transition from city to farm, sustainable farming, lifestyle farming, alternative building methods, alternative energy, alternative water purification, bee-keeping, chicken farming, compost making. These tours will be guided by the landowners, where they will share “Tips, Tricks and Traps”, as they talk about their own voyage of discoveries and mistakes.
There will also be formal sessions.
Costs will be R75.00 pp for the event. Meals, accommodation, transport, stationery, local produce, etc. will not be included in the price.
We would encourage our visitors to invest in our community fund, to assist with empowering the disadvantaged.
The price range for self-catering accommodation will be R200-R600 pppn. there is also a campsite.
1. Klapperbos: Jack Lewis, 0824671621, email@example.com
2. Paddagaste: Nicole Crisp, 0824796310, firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Blue Sky organics: Liz Eglington, 0836533635, 0285812014, email@example.com
4. Boskamp: Heidi de Kock, 0829784863, firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Rooiberg Lodge: Ronel, 0285512622, email@example.com (12km out of town)
6. Skilpad Manor: Ryk Rossouw, 0836294369, firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Campsite: Mike & Carol, 0822587940,email@example.com
8. Coriander Cottages: Noel & Melaney Faure, firstname.lastname@example.org (25km out of town)
9. Pompstasie: Johan & Phia van Dyk, 084 521 0840 (7 km out of town)
Restaurants, coffee shops & Meals
1. Melkstal: Adrian & Jo-Mari, 0833018104, email@example.com
2. Rooiberg Lodge: Ronel, 0285512622, firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Spekboom Restuarant and Pub: Solly, 0824155109, email@example.com or Joyce 0761478416
4. Blanche’s home made chicken pies 0726337836
5. Buffelfontein Kuns Kafee en Koffie Winkel: Antoinette 0824942370
– A general dealer, known as ‘Vanwyksdorp Mall’, selling clothing and hardware
– Three small supermarkets for basic groceries
– Bottle Store
– Postal Agency with a shop
– Oasis Community centre with copy, fax & laminating services
*No fuel in Vanwyksdorp!
* Limited Cash in Vanwyksdorp ATM